The Well Health Center is a new service of the Nazarene Ministry Center in Cactus, TX. Cactus is a town of 4,000 people, most of them immigrants and refugees. The area consists of mainly farms, dairies, feed lots and a meat packing plant. The plant requires no English, and no education or experience. Not surprisingly, its workers represent 26 countries and 40 languages!
The Ministry Center supplies social support and community services such as a summer lunch program, after-school care, citizenship consultation and legal representation, and ESL services. Realizing that distance and a lack of transportation, language and culture were keeping many Cactus residents from accessing health care, vaccinations, and prenatal and infant care, Doctor Stephanie Diehlmann founded The Well Health Center in Jan. 2019.
As part of our winter Racial Justice series of speakers, Dr. Stephanie Deihlmann of the The Well Health Center in Cactus, TX will be joining us for a Zoom conversation on Feb. 9 to tell us about her clinic, and the immigrants and refugees she treats there!
Dr. Steph delivered the clinic’s first baby this past November, and expects to serve up to 60 new moms this year.
WE CAN HELP by providing any of the items below for moms and babies!
- Click on the button below to use the sign-up form for this Shower of Love.
- Please add your name and indicate the quantities of the items you would like to donate.
- You can drop them off in the bin outside the lower door at the church, or inside the vestibule by Sunday Feb. 14.
- Another COVID-safe — and easy –option that allows anyone, anywhere to participate is to ORDER supplies, and have them mailed directly to: Nancy Allenby, 28 Lamson Lane, New London, 03257.
The Sunday School will package the supplies we collect into maternity kits to send to The Well Health Center!
Supplies we are collecting include:
- Prenatal vitamins–unopened, unexpired
- Diaper bag or other cloth bag–gift in 3rd trimester, will include other items below
- Newborn diapers
- Baby wipes
- Baby onesie / sleeper
- Baby hat
- Baby mittens
- Baby booties
- Baby sweaters
- Baby blankets
- Baby thermometer
- Bulb suction
- Small personal care items for mom–soap, shampoo, lotion, lip balm
- Sanitary napkins for mom
- Nursing pads for breastfeeding moms
- Lanolin / nipple cream for breastfeeding moms
- Plastic baby bottles and formula for newborn (will keep at The Well and provide only if needed)